Nov 19, 2019
Click here for more information about transferring to SMU.
Preparation for Transfer as a Management Science Major
The following sequences are suggested courses to take in your semesters prior to transferring to SMU as a management science major. For students attending a Texas public community college or university, Texas Common Course Numbers (TCCNS) are listed. If you are transferring from a college or university outside of Texas, click on the SMU course for a course description which may be used to select/compare courses at your current institution.
UC listings refer to SMU’s University Curriculum, which all undergraduates are required to complete. Refer to the University Curriculum Transfer Guide for a list of courses satisfying UC components. Interactive equivalency guides organized by transfer institution are available on the Transfer and Transition Services’ website.
Save all of your course syllabi!
Please note: These plans assume students are ready to take calculus. If you are not “calculus ready,” take math courses to prepare you for calculus so that you advance to calculus as soon as possible. Also, if you are planning a minor, typically only one or two transfer courses will be applied.
B.S. in Management Science
*The second language requirement may be satisfied by (1) transferring two terms of college courses in the same world language, (2) placing out of four terms of a world language by taking an SMU placement test or through AP or IB credit, or (3) being literate in a native language other than English.
A History of Creating Engineering Leaders
Founded in 1925, Lyle Engineering has a strong tradition of educating students to be tomorrow’s engineering leaders. Degree programs combine training in leadership, communication, teamwork and engineering fundamentals.
Lyle Engineering facilities on campus include the Jerry Junkins Building, J. Lindsay Embrey Building, and Caruth Hall. The Embrey Building and Caruth Hall are constructed to meet Gold LEED standards, making them some of the first LEED certified buildings in north Texas. Faculty conduct cutting edge research in over 30 laboratories housed within the engineering buildings.
Graduates of Lyle Engineering go on to pursue further studies at top engineering graduate programs, professional programs including law and medical schools, and careers at international corporations. Employers include Raytheon, Texas Instruments, Accenture and Bain & Company, to name just a few.
The Lyle Advantage
The Lyle School of Engineering offers many opportunities for students to enrich their classroom learning.
- Internships and co-ops enable students to gain valuable paid engineering work experience. Transfer students can complete 3-4 work terms and complete an undergraduate degree at SMU within 4-5 semesters spread over 3 years.
- SMU Abroad programs provide students with international experiences. Students may continue their engineering coursework at one of the many international sites offering engineering courses.
- Accelerated pathways enable qualified students to earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees in one year beyond the bachelor’s degree. Transfer students apply to this program after admission to advanced standing. Once admitted, students may begin taking up to 3 courses approved by advisors that count towards both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Individualized advising assists students with course sequencing towards graduation.
- Research with faculty gives selected students an opportunity to gain hands-on research experience under the mentorship of a faculty member.
- The Hart Center for Engineering Leadership offers opportunities for professional and leadership development.
- Engineering student organizations offer students the opportunity to put leadership skills into practice and make lifelong friendships with fellow classmates.
- Membership in engineering honorary societies recognizes selected students who have outstanding academic achievements.
Admission to Management Science
To be admitted to advanced standing in management science students must 1) complete at least 24 credit hours 2) attain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000 and 3) meet the subset requirements for the major. The management science major requires a grade of C or higher in all subset courses and a 3.000 subset GPA. Subset courses are:
Preparing for a Smooth Transition
Transfer students who take time to prepare for their transition to Lyle Engineering are some of the most successful students. Following are a few important points to remember:
- The second language requirement of the University Curriculum may be satisfied by 1) transferring two terms of college courses in the same world language, 2) placing out of four terms of world language by taking an SMU placement test or through AP or IB credit, or 3) demonstrating proficiency in a native language other than English.
- SMU accepts AP scores of 4 or 5.
- Engineering degree programs have few to no free electives, so course selection is critical.
- Work on the University Curriculum prior to transferring is highly encouraged.
- For additional information on engineering majors, visit the Lyle homepage.
- For more information about transferring to SMU, click here or call 214-768-3417.
Degree Programs in Lyle School of Engineering
Lyle Engineering offers undergraduate degrees in the following fields:
Any of the Lyle degree programs can be combined with pre-medical studies or pre-law studies. For further information on the degree programs, check out the school’s section in the Undergraduate Catalog, or explore Lyle’s Official SMU webpage.
The University Curriculum (UC)
The University Curriculum is required of all undergraduate students and consists of three main components:
- Foundations - 6 hours of Discernment and Discourse courses, 3 hours of Quantitative Foundation courses, 2 hours of Personal Responsibility and Wellness courses, proficiency in a second language and 3 hours of a Ways of Knowing course (offered only at SMU)
- Breadth and Depth - 7 Breadth and 3 Depth courses which may double count with majors and minors
- Proficiencies and Experiences - Additionally, all students must complete 6 Proficiencies and Experiences requirements, met through Breadth and Depth coursework or approved, noncredit activities.
Click here for more information about transferring to SMU.