Admission is based on the following criteria; any exceptions to these requirements must have the approval of the academic adviser and department chair:
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
2. Official copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts where a degree has been conferred or you have received 9 or more credit hours.
3. A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale)
4. Essay Writing Sample. Submit an academic paper from prior coursework that demonstrates your analytic and written communication abilities. In lieu of a prior paper, you may submit a five-page paper that addresses specific issues facing higher education today.
5. Personal Statement. Applicants should prepare a statement of purpose, which should be between 750-1,000 words. This statement should address the factors that encouraged you to seek a degree with the SMU Higher Education Program. You may wish to address your background, personal and professional experiences that prepared you for the study of higher education, what strengths you bring to the program, and your professional goals after the completion of the M.Ed. Your responses should be saved and uploaded as the following:
- 12 point Times New Roman font
- One inch margins
6. Applicants with a degree from countries where the predominant language is not English are required to supply scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by the Educational Testing Service. The minimum scores for admission speaking 24, listening/reading 22, and writing 21.
7. Three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references.
8. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for your admissions packet. Applicants who have taken the GRE general test or another standardized test (i.e. GMAT, LSAT) are welcome to submit scores. To ensure that we receive your GRE scores, please use the institution code 6660.
Electronic transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to:
Graduate Application Processing
PO Box 518
Dallas, TX 75275-0518