This 36-credit hour (13 courses) M.S. degree program in organizational psychology is designed for SMU undergraduate students with a strong interest in pursuing a career using psychological skills in organizations or businesses. The program begins in the student’s senior year and lasts four semesters plus one summer. Core courses are taught primarily by Psychology faculty along with three courses offered by the Cox School of Business faculty. Admission to the program is by application during the spring term of the junior year.
Admission to the program is competitive and open only to current SMU undergraduates. Sophomores who plan to major in psychology and who want to pursue this accelerated M.S. in organizational psychology program should consult with the psychology department’s director of undergraduate studies and/or the undergraduate adviser for approval before the end of the spring semester of their sophomore year (or for transfers, after completing 60 credit hours). Applicants need to be sure they have taken all of the undergraduate courses required for entry into the program.
To apply for the accelerated master’s program, the student must:
- Be enrolled in the B.A. or B.S psychology program at SMU
- Apply for admission to the accelerated M.S. in organizational psychology program in the spring of their junior year
- Submit two recommendation letters from SMU faculty members
- Submit their transcript
- Complete a personal statement
Undergraduate students not majoring in psychology may apply for admission to the M.S. program, but will need to complete a subset of psychology courses to be eligible for admission. Students should consult with the psychology department’s director of undergraduate studies and/or undergraduate adviser for more information.
Requirements for the Degree
The curriculum consists of eight required psychology courses, three required Management and Organizations (MNO) courses in the Cox School of Business, and two elective courses. The program is offered on a cohort model: students begin the program in their senior year and take the required courses together but choose their own electives.
- To receive a M.S. degree in organizational psychology, the student must:
- Have been awarded an undergraduate degree at SMU
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate coursework at SMU
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale) in the M.S. degree coursework
- Satisfactorily fulfilled other degree requirements