Jul 21, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Veterans Pathway Guide

Click here for more information about transferring to SMU.

SMU Welcomes Veterans!

Southern Methodist University supports our valued soldiers and veterans. The University is proud to have many undergraduate transfer students who have served in our country’s armed forces.  These veterans enhance our community through the experiences they bring and their commitment to education.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill makes an SMU education accessible and affordable to many veterans.  This Transfer Guide is designed to help answer the questions you may have as you prepare for a move to the University.  While SMU does not advise students regarding the various VA benefits that might be available to them, you may contact a Veterans Education Program Specialist at the Texas Veterans Commission, (903) 216-2919.

VA Educational Benefits

Types of VA Educational Benefits

There are several types of VA Educational Benefits available to veterans which may be used for an undergraduate degree at SMU.  They are:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree programs. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

The Vocational Rehabilitation program is for service-disabled veterans who require further education to attain suitable, stable employment. This program may provide vocational and other training services and assistance including tutorial assistance, tuition, books, fees, supplies, handling charges, licensing fees and equipment and other training materials necessary.

Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree programs.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree programs.

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree programs.


SMU does not offer Hazelwood benefits; it is only offered through public institutions in Texas.

Applying for VA Benefits at SMU

Veterans apply online to the VA to receive their educational benefits. The VA determines eligibility for educational benefits.

We’re Here to Help

We know you have many questions, and the Registrar’s Office is here to help you navigate the process of receiving VA benefits.  Our website is a great place to begin, but if you have further questions, please contact Meghan Budig, Manager of Certifications, or Mitzie Goff, Associate Registrar. SMU’s Coordinator of Veterans Support and Services in Student Affairs is Deanie Kepler.

Apply Now!

Click here for more information about transferring to SMU.