Kimberly Rutigliano, Ed.D., Managing Director
About the Program
The Master of Science in data science degree is an interdisciplinary program that combines courses from SMU’s Dedman College, Lyle School of Engineering and Meadows School of the Arts. The diploma is signed by the Dean of Graduate Research and Studies. The program is delivered online to provide access to working professionals and students located around the world. The program provides students who are prospective data scientists with an enriched background in computer science, statistics, strategic behavior and data visualization. Graduates will be able to form relevant questions, collect and analyze appropriate data, and make informed decisions regarding the question of interest. Course instruction includes oral and written communication skills and the basics of database structure, including building, maintaining and securing databases. The website (www.datascience.smu.edu
) has additional information.
Applicants to the M.S.D.S. program must hold a bachelor’s degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering or other quantitative discipline. An application fee is required. Additional requirements are as follows:
- A basic understanding of a programming language (R, JAVA, C++, Python or similar programming language).
- Calculus I and II. Business calculus does not meet this requirement.
- A completed online application, with the following:
- One letter of recommendation.
- A statement of purpose.
- All official academic transcripts.
- An official GRE graduate school admission test score, which may be waived if a prospective student has five or more years of industry-related experience or has earned a master’s degree in a related field.
- A satisfactory TOEFL English language proficiency test score (minimum 90) is required for an applicant whose native language is not English.
Enrollment and Academic Records
Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid
Effective spring 2019 the course prefixes for the following courses changed from MSDS to DS: