The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) program is an 18-hour course of study beyond the master’s degree that allows students to pursue advanced studies in the liberal arts in a focused and disciplined manner. The certificate program encourages in-depth study of a core topic while drawing upon various disciplines to provide a broad understanding of the subject.
With the guidance of an adviser, students select a topic and design a program of study consisting of courses from the M.L.S. program curriculum, departmentally based graduate courses and independent study. A student’s course of study may conclude with a research paper or creative project.
The course of study as detailed in this catalog must be completed within four years, and students must maintain a 3.000 GPA throughout the program. The curriculum of 18 credit hours is drawn from
- The M.L.S. program course offerings.
- A maximum of three credit hours in approved departmentally based graduate courses.
- A maximum of three credit hours of independent study.
- An optional three-credit-hour capstone project.
The CAGS program is designed for applicants who have already completed a Master’s degree with a GPA of 3.50 (preferred) but wish to pursue additional graduate work in the form of advanced integrated and interdisciplinary, humanities-based study. Application for admission requires the following:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- SMU online application
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and a graduate GPA of 3.5 or higher is preferred.)
- Two letters of recommendation.
- An essay, two pages double spaced, explaining interest in studying dispute resolution.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Interview with admissions faculty
- Application fee
Note: The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required but applicants may submit their scores if would like them considered with their application.
Foreign transcripts must be translated and include proof of English proficiency. Student visas are not eligible for graduate certificate programs.