Feb 21, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog

Healthcare Collaboration and Conflict Engagement, Graduate Certificate

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs

SMU’s Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Collaboration and Conflict Engagement is a three-course, nine-credit-hour cohort program designed for physicians, nurses, administrative professionals, human resource professionals or those who see healthcare leadership roles in their future. The program allows students to challenge their thinking in a constructive environment surrounded by peers and colleagues and under the guidance of dispute resolution instructors with healthcare backgrounds. While there are a number of ways to consider healthcare leadership in this climate of change, our program focuses upon evidence-based social science, engagement and collaborative skills, fundamentals of neuroscience, emotional and social intelligence, as well as an understanding of the fundamental concepts of conflict and how it escalates and de-escalates.

Students gain theoretical and practical knowledge that is specific to the conflict and upheaval found in the healthcare setting. The program incorporates active role-playing in order to engage students in class participation and teaches the skills necessary to resolve conflicts in healthcare settings.


Application to the Healthcare Collaboration and Conflict Engagement Graduate Certificate Program requires the following:

  • Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
  • SMU online application
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and a graduate GPA of 3.5 or higher is preferred.)
  • Two letters of recommendation.
  • An essay, one – two pages double spaced, explaining interest in studying dispute resolution.
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • Interview with admissions faculty
  •  Application fee

Note: The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required but applicants may submit their scores if would like them considered with their application.

Foreign transcripts must be translated and include proof of English proficiency. Student visas are not eligible for graduate certificate programs.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Programs